Sunday, January 15, 2006

Old School Banquet

The Foochow style banquet or normally called a 10 course meal have been evolving ever since. I recall the dishes that were served during banquets when I was younger to be more authentic. These days influence from other clans have crept in and change the way food is prepared and served. Influences from the Cantonese cuisine have been particularly obvious. Well, I have to admit that Cantonese cuisine is also very tasty. Nonetheless, Foochow cuisine has its own specialties and unique taste. I do not suggest to any sort of fusion between these cuisines because I believe in keeping food authentic. Fusion food is a no no in my menu.

Today, I got a taste of an almost authentic Foochow 10 course meal. I would not give a 10 out of 10 just because it used to have 16 dishes not 8, 9 or 10. According to my dad, the numbers dwindle to 11 and now at some occasions 8 dishes. That is half of what it used be. I could not imagine how the stomach could handle the consumption of 16 different dishes. However, I cannot dismiss the fact that the more dishes are served the merrier the occasion becomes. I would also think that guest would be happier when they are treated to the sight of 16 dishes. The amount of dishes are ridiculously generous. As the years past, the peoples taste buds changed and I would guess that they desire the tastier dishes to stay and the lesser to be axed from the menu. Although tonight's banquet styled dinner is not really a 16 dish one, the food served are close to the real thing. But I would have to say that the cooking is not that good.

The one thing that they got right was the size of the serving. It was huge. I have not been indulging in Foochow dishes that are that huge for some time already. I realised that they have shrunk in recent years. They are heading where the Cantonese are heading in terms of serving size. A fact that I am not fond of. Bring back the sumo size serving. Then again, my doctor to be friends and those health conscious would advice me to eat moderately. In order that I lead a healthy, problem free life, I shall eat moderately, exercise more frequently and sleep sufficiently. I am a strong supporter of healthy living but at the same time crave for delicious food. Finding the equilibrium is very important in such cases. So, it is going to be brown rice everyday, more greens that red, white meat over red, more sky juice than carbonated drinks and cut down on sugar, salt and MSG. Oh! and not to forget consistently exercising. Tennis, badminton, basketball, futsal, football and fishing. The last one to train my patience. Hmmm...I missed out reading. I need mental training too.

God bless!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great site »

March 06, 2007 9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home