Thursday, May 04, 2006

Jalan-jalan Cari Makan

The Melaka trip was about food and fun with friends. I know I've already blogged about the trip to Melaka but I thought I would talk a little bit more about the food we ate. First up, the chicken rice ball was ok. It wasn't the best although I've not tried the others. I heard that the one in Batu Beredam is good but I did not have the chance to go there. I would love to try it. The shop that we went to try the chicken rice ball is located opposite OCBC Bank, right beside the river. Here's a picture of the food we ate.


The chicken meat was not moiste enough and the rice ball is abit on the salty side. The drinks, so-so but according to many this shop serves one of the best chicken rice ball in Melaka or at least in Jonker. I have yet to try the best, thats all i've to say about chicken rice balls. Next up, Nyonya cendol. Lydia says this is not the original Nyonya cendol but it is the closest it gets to the original. If you think eating is all we do, no you are wrong. We had to walk under the baking sun to reach our destination. It is like the tv program "King Of Adventures" in a lesser manner.

I've to apologise as I do not have pictures of the cendol because my hands were sticky from the "gula Melaka". This is a picture of the inside of the shop. Very typical old pre-war shop setting. Before I move on, the Nyonya cendol is different from the typical Indian cendol. The coconut milk in the Nyonya cendol thicker. I would think it is the first sqeeze where as the "Best Cendol" found in Sitiawan have a more dilute coconut milk but it is still the first sqeeze except that more water is added. I prefer the latter.



Next and never to miss is the "satay celup". This particular restaurant serving this very unique food only found in Melaka. The word "celup" does not mean fake in Malay but it means dip. You literally dip the "lok-lok" styled "satay" sticks into the "kuah" (gravy) made of groundnuts to the taste of the "satay" sauce.

This particular food is highly recommended for its uniqueness. The place to go for this food is in the Klebang area. It is situated near Wesley Melaka, just behind a mosque. Only locals go there to eat. Well, I'm not. RM0.40 a stick, which I think is worth it. We missed out on one of the most unique food (Warning: Tak Halal)-"satay babi". Pork satay. We were told that we had to order in advance through telephone booking! When we passed by the place at about 1830, the que was already visible from a far.

On the last day, we had the chance to try my favourite Nyonya dish, ok one of my favourite besides the Nyonya laksa, the very delicious "Ayam Pong Teh". It is a little on the sweeter side. It looks like chicken stew. A must try. The Nyonya laksa at this place is good, better than those served at the cendol shop mentioned earlier. This shop is located near the river within walking distance from OCBC Bank. It is painted yellow and has a cendol stall at its entrance. That's all I have to blog about this time around. I apologise for the lack of food pictures. I was too carried away eating. I shall in the future take more pictures of the object. Enjoy the pictures...salivate if you need. Drive to Melaka if you really can't resist the temptation but remember bring some food back for me. Cheers!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooooooiii! You posted my photo!

I'm sooooo gonna retaliate by posting all the pics of you. Nyahaha.. :)

Kidding. :)

May 04, 2006 5:08 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

hahahha...check for the latest update..more photos..ahaha
the post was initially not complete cos i had to rush to class..

May 04, 2006 5:27 PM  
Blogger nitsuj said...

pong teh is oso 1 of me favs...actually, most of the nyonya food my grandma cooked was on my fav list...as far as getting carried away eating and salivating over the pics, i know what it feels...in fact, satay celup would be 1 of the things i miss about melaka...

May 04, 2006 7:58 PM  
Blogger Philip said...

yo justin.i was reading your name and i was thinkking who is this nitsuj...ahah..nice to hear from you..

May 06, 2006 2:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home