Sunday, April 09, 2006

The One Who Hears Us

In CG(cell group) two days ago, Sarah shared on Prayer. IT was an adaptation from Max Lucado's work. The essence of the sharing/teaching was that prayer isn't powerful but the one who hears our prayer is powerful. It makes me wonder more than usual how true this statement is. It is still difficult to for many to agree to this statement but I've come to terms with it. Yes, our prayers are not powerful at all. The words we utter are not powerful. Before any of my readers start rebutting, let me explain.

Our words are enough to destroy one's confidence, kill another and glorify others. Should we then be very careful when we speak? Definately. I'm learning how to talk to people using appropriate words all the time but sometimes the worst happens. Should we then be very careful with our words when we pray? Yes, no...errr dunno? I don't know how you pray. Many people have said that we don't need to use fancy words or bombastic ones. I agree but sometimes when I'm really in the mood to pray and intercede these words automatically come out. What should I do then? Nothing...just continue praying.

Prayer is something serious. It is fun too but not to be taken lightly. Sometimes we pray from a script if you know what I mean. Monday, Lord bless my family and friends...Tuesday, Lord bless my family and friends...Wednesday, Oh God, I praise You and glorify You. You are awesome, wonderful and to merciful. I pray that You will see to my parents' and my siblings needs. Help me share Your Good News to someone today. Give me the opportunity... Sometimes we are like that. More importantly, when we pray we honestly pray. Afterall, it is God that acts upon our prayers or even without us praying but remember this "ask and it shall be given". An honest prayer moves the hand of God. I've forgotten after becoming a Christian for so many years that my prayers, every one of them is heard by God.

I've been praying for my brother, James for some time. More often since he started work. He has to travel quite a distance to work where the road is windy and notorious for accidents. I received a phone call from my dad early yesterday morning informing me that James met an accident. Thank God, he did not sustain any serious injuries. He cut his lips, tongue and I guess some bruises. The car was badly damaged. The air-conditioning unit was damaged, the steering rack was broken, the front end of the car was damage badly, the chasis was bend which caused the roof of the car to cave in a little and the tyre blew. According to the tow-truck driver, if my brother wasn't wearing a seat belt, his head would have gone through the windscreen. I suddenly realised how God is working in my family. The prayers that we pray to cover each other has been effective although at times I feel as if it is scripted. No matter how I feel, how I feel not to pray or how busy I am, a prayer is still a prayer and God is listening. My words in my prayer were not powerful, plain simplicity but the power of the One that hears is beyond comprehension. Thank you Jesus. Hallelujah!